In the specialized field of dermatology, there are numerous areas that a dermatologists may
diagnosis and treat. Dr. Cheryl Ackerman is a Board
Certified dermatologist in Glen Ridge, New Jersey. She specializes in
General Dermatology in North New Jersey. One of the many areas Dr. Ackerman focuses on is protecting skin from the sun. There are benefits to being in the sun. Sunlight helps our bodies produce vitamin D and we all feel better spending some time outdoors being active. However, you should always manage your sun exposure.
Dr. Ackerman, your favorite dermatologist in Glen Ridge, New Jersey, would like to extend these sun protection tips:
- You should always wear sunscreen with a SPF (sun protection factor) of at least 15, even if you don't plan on being outside much or it is cloudy. Try an oil-free moisture with SPF 15 or greater that is already added.
- Apply ample sunscreen with a higher SPF when you are around water, snow, ice, or other reflective surfaces.
- Purchase and wear a sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays and says
Broad Spectrum or "noncomedogenic on the label to help maintain healthy, clear pores.
- Reapply sunscreen frequently if you go swimming or sweat a lot. Also, you should reapply often between the hours of 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM and try to limit activity during this time.
- Protect yourself with more than just sunscreen. You should wear a hat, sunglasses, and apply chapstick with SPF.
- Be aware of any medications you are taking. Many prescription medications can increase sensitivity to the sun.
- Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
Protecting your skin is vital for many reasons. Dr. Ackerman's Office of Dermatology in Glen Ridge, New Jersey offers helpful advice and skin cancer screenings. By following her advice and taking simple precautions, you are protecting your skin from sun damage. This includes skin cancer, wrinkles, age spots, and many other side effects and skin conditions that result from sun exposure. To learn more about sun protection, please visit Dr. Ackerman's Office of Dermatology in Glen Ridge, NJ.